The ancient tribal territories of La Palma are more or less the same as the current municipalities. Until the Spanish conquest, at the end of the fifteenth century, Tijarafe was part of the kingdom of Hiscaguán, which also included the municipality of Puntagorda. The actual municipal borders, as they are today, were not determined until 1812. As the northern limit this monumental canyon was chosen, which starts on the edge of the Caldera de Taburiente and ends in the steep walls of almost three hundred meters, as can be seen from here. This is an ideal spot to take a break from driving, offering a fountain of drinking water on one side of the road, and a recreational area with wooden benches and tables on the other.