Tijarafe is a municipality that is situated in the Northeast of the island La Palma, which is part of the province Santa Cruz de Tenerife. With its 54 km2, it is the 5th largest township, occupying 7.6 % of the total surface of the island. The municipal terrain includes 11.5 km of coastline. Tijarafe has almost 2.800 registered inhabitants, which amounts to a population density of 52 persons per square kilometer.
The municipality was formed after the Spanish conquest, with the church of Our Lady of Candelaria, built in 1530, at its center. The main economical activity is agriculture, specifically the banana, avocado and wine grape production. Recently, Tijarafe has experienced a growth in the tourism sector, mainly in the form of rural tourism.